Monday, November 27, 2017

WEEK 4: In the mission field, Harrison, Arkansas, lovin it!! God is good, the church is true.


The MTC was awesome and I will miss my district but it's feeling great to be here where I know i'm supposed to be.

I know many of you have asked where I am so .... I'm the the little town of Harrison, Arkansas, located in the heart of the beautiful Ozarks but unfortunately it's perhaps the poorest place in my mission:(.    




I have 2 amazing companions, Sister Johnson (from MN) and Sister Pingree (from SLC, UT)! I love them so much already and I'm so grateful to have them both here with me. 
This 1st week has been INSANE!! 
The first day here I was able to experience how powerful the spirit can be. We had 3 families on a list to go visit but didn't have time to go see everyone so we prayed to see who we should go visit, the Hurst family came to my mind so we went on our way to see them.   You need to know that many of the roads here are dirt so it takes forever to get places sometimes (BTW, we drive a truck!!!!).  
We found the house and started going up the driveway (We always say a prayer before we get out of the car to protect us and to help those we come in contact with to have there heart soften), but as we get out of the car and as we got closer I had a really bad uneasy feeling come over me. So I looked at my 2 companions and said this isn't feeling right, we need to leave. The overwhelming voice of the spirit said "turn around and go get in your car".  The voice was so clear I couldn't even take another step up the driveway to this house. We all looked at each other confused, asking why  would we drive all this way to end up turning around????  As we got in our car we had the opportunity to go right or left on the road, WE CHOSE TO GO 'RIGHT' and came up on another house and decided to stop. Before we got out of the car we looked at the house address again and figured out that this house was the RIGHT one! 
Always follow the promptings of the spirit. I don't know what could have happened to us if we knocked on that first house.  I don't want to know!
Being here in Harrison... there's a lot of people who are on drugs, literally, it's sad. I am so grateful to be here and to have to opportunity to have the Holy Ghost as a constant companion to help me with what i am seeing. Obedience is the key to having the spirit, I'm learning that fast.
Our Thanksgiving: Thanksgiving was A LOT OF FOOD!! Food baby, all day long. Lots of yummy food and amazing opportunities to help those around us and reflect on everything we have been given.
Never take things for granted because being here in this area definitely has made ME grateful for the amazing family I have, the house I live in and the life and opportunities I've been given. Someone out there could have it a lot worse then you do.  As a missionary I am loving the serving part and helping those we meet come closer to Christ. 

We have 2 Investigators who have baptismal dates. :)

Sheldon we met Friday night and set his Baptismal date the next day because the spirit guided us and said he is ready so we followed that prompting and he is so excited. 
The Lord is definitely placing people in our path that are ready. His date is Dec 30th so I believe we have 5 weeks or so. He is so excited and we are going to do everything we possibly can to help him be ready for that day. Please pray for him.  

Kelly is my best friend, I just love her so much. We have taught her 3 times this week and have set her baptismal date for DEC 30 as well. We are giving her dad lessons and hoping we can get him ready for that date too. Kelly and her Dad both have been reading the Book of Mormon a lot together and are gaining a strong testimony that this is the true church. They have come to church and are recognizing how happy it makes them. 
This church is true!! I'm seeing it work every day, hour-by-hour and the lives it is changing. Being a missionary is so hard but it's worth every moment. Seeing someones face light up when you give them a Book of Mormon, feeling and witnessing their growing love for it as they read, it is something I cant explain.  
Yes I've been cutting hair, in the MTC and in the Mission Field. My Comps are definitely loving it too. I've been Cutting the hair of families who are less fortunate and helping the Poor.  
I'm loving it.  I'm already picking up on some southern slang, Haha.  I think i'm in the middle of Duck Dynasty, big beards and all.
I've been sick with the flu this week but my comps definitely took care of me. They now are sick too. hahaha. Oops!!
I love all of you, and thank you for your love and support.  
Hope you enjoy the pictures... 
Sister Gilmour 


More about Harrison from the web: 

Located in the heart of the Ozark Mountains, Harrison is the County Seat of Boone County, Arkansas. It is nationally recognized as one of the "Best Small Towns in America" with a downtown lake and a beautifully renovated town square complete with hanging flower baskets. Harrison was previously featured in Where to Retire Magazine as one of the best retirement towns.

Harrison's scenic canyons, hills, and rivers allow privacy and wide-open spaces, and the nearby cities of Branson and Springfield offer metropolitan amenities such as live performances and varied dining options. For outdoor lovers, canoeing and fishing amid the limestone bluffs and serene scenery on Buffalo National River are popular activities. The low cost of living, laid back lifestyle and historic downtown continue to draw retirees to Harrison.


No comments:

Post a Comment

WEEK 37: All the days mix together.

WOW this week has been crazy and i probably wont be able to tell you a single thing of what happened. All the days mix together. SCOTT g...